Wednesday, May 2, 2012

LDS StoryMakers

Each year, there is a great writer's convention held in Utah. The first year I went I didn't have the highest of expectations. I thought it was just going to be some local writers getting together. I don't know what I expected, but I can tell you that I left the convention impressed.

Shouldn't be shocking, right? Mormons know how to get things done, after all. So why wouldn't LDS StoryMakers be an excellent writing conference?

Well, it should have been, and it was.

Last year I was invited to be a presenter in addition to working with authors at the Boot Camp, which was great. Especially the Boot Camp. It's SO great to work with emerging authors and see all the stories that are in other people's heads.And also, as coaches, we get to learn a thing or two. After all, just because you're published it doesn't mean you're all knowing. I'm not the best writer in the world. I'm just a storyteller who gets the job done with the skill I have at the moment.

It's all any of us can do. Be our best in the moment.

And I can tell you in all honesty that a few of the writers in my boot camp last year were much better writers than I was. I told them the same thing to their faces. (One of which seemed flattered while the other stared me in the eye as if to say, "I know. So why are you published and I'm not?" Always fun moments to have. :))

This Thursday, I get to participate in the LDS StoryMakers Boot Camp again. The bonus, this year writers will have the option to choose me--or any other mentor they want! Last year they were assigned. This year it's first come, first served.

So, if you want me, come and get me... or not. That's the cool part of the Boot Camp this year. The choice is YOURS (if you get there early enough... if you get there late, you might be shown to my table by default. We'll have fun, though).

Regardless of the mentor you choose, however, I'd love to meet you and get to say hi face to face! So come find me :)

And to those of you who are going all of the days, I'll only be there on Thursday, but I hope you have a great conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment