Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Confessing a Writer Crush

You may notice that I don't review books on my blog. This is for a number of reasons. I could line-list those reasons, but what it comes down to is that somewhere around two years ago something snapped/shifted/changed inside of me.

I don't know exactly what took place or when it happened, all I know is that all of a sudden I stopped losing myself in books. I became a technical reader, studying what was done right, what was lazy, and how and where authors placed the hooks that got me to keep reading. I became a strategic reader, always asking, "Why is this working?" Why isn't this working?" "Why do I care?" "How are they maintaining the momentum?" "Why don't I want her to end up with so-and-so when other fans of the series do?" "How does she balance so many character story lines and make me care about each?"

And so forth.

While I read these books, I love them, but not in a way I used to love books. I'm not lost in the story. The things I enjoy have changed. I get giddy over well-executed technique and pacing. I clap when I don't see a scene coming, or a character does something memorable. I sigh over funny metaphors (while wishing I'd thought of them first), and I enjoy good, sustained tension more than any HEA (happily ever after).

The things I like about books aren't anything anyone would want to read about in a review. So I don't review.

All that said, there are still exceptions to this rule--rare moments when an author comes along and gets me to enjoy their book on a purely fan level. I forget to think. I don't even try to take notes, because what they're pulling off is so purely their own that to try to emulate it would be to embarrass myself.

All I can do is clap... and develop a writer crush.

I have a few authors I crush on, but today I'll only mention one: Kiersten White, author of Paranormalcy, Supernaturally, and Endlessly.

If you haven't bee introduced to Kiersten White already, I'm proud to make the intro. Check her out! Especially if you liked the Buffy series. And if you didn't like Buffy... well, you'll have to explain that to me some day.

Until then, I'd like you to meet Kiersten White. Paranormalcy is her first book, and I totally encourage you tot pick it up!


No comments:

Post a Comment