Friday, April 22, 2011

What are You Reading?


I've been in a reading slump for a while. I think it came from a year of working with books while writing books at night. Pure over saturation.

But I still like books. I do. I promise. And as books become more and more appealing, I know that I must be careful about what I choose, and at first only pick books I will enjoy. That is why my next YA book will be "Guardians of the Hidden Scepter," by Frank Cole. I saw it in Costco the other day next to the Beyonders. And while I know I want to read Beyonders as well, I just like Frank Cole.

For those of you who have never heard of him, Cole is the author of the Hashbrown Winters juvenile series, and the thing I like about his style is that he's unapologetic in exaggerating. He remembers what it's like to be a kid, when everything was bigger than life and little things were HUGE deals. I remember reading a review before I picked up his first book that compared Hashbrown to Bill Cosby's stylings with the Fat Albert stories and other monologues. The reviewer hit that right on.

I'm not sure Guardians of the Hidden Scepter reads like Hashbrown since it's for a teen audience, but as I come out of my reading funk, I have high hopes that Frank Cole won't send me back into that dark place where I don't want to read anymore.

What about you? What are you reading right now that you really, REALLY like?

5 comments:

  1. Currently I'm reading Momo by the guy who wrote The Never Ending Story (Both are fantastic, BTW, if you haven't read them, you really really really should.)
    My favorite book by far (as of right now though) is The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. It's fantastic and the narrative is absolutely amazing. You need to read it.
    And I really love Les Miserable by Victor Hugo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I own The Thief. Must check.
    Les Miserables I totally loved. I read it in 24 hours straight when I was 15. I was just a *little* obsessed.
    Momo I've never heard of. I'll have to look into it :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in a Cozy Mystery mood lately...I think it is mostly because they are light and easy and my brain has been on overload lately with all of my kids school and extracurricular activities!

    Of course I could go for some more Rhea Jensen, but I've read them all.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in one too. But, not a bad slump, just a lot of Whitney reading. I was grateful for the whitney reading, I probably wouldn't of read those great books otherwise. I just finished my aunt's book, The Fairy Thorn, now reading Blackberry Crumble. Next is City Limits :). Thanks for the info on Golden Septure, saw it at seagull, LMK what u think.

    ReplyDelete